Roasted asparagus is one of our favorite veggie side dishes. It’s the one vegetable I know I can always count on to be eaten by both me and Brandon. It seems like everything else is either something I love and he hates or vice versa. I’m trying to get him to come around on other vegetables but until then, asparagus FTW!
After we settled into our new place I headed out to the grocery store to stock up our new pantry and kitchen. We eat so much fruit and so many vegetables that I usually end up having to go to the store every 3 – 4 days. That wasn’t a big deal in Atlanta when the store was half a mile away but now it’s about 10-miles of mountain roads. It’s not like 10 miles is a huge deal but I am starting to have thoughts of planting a container garden so I can grow my own on our patio. We’ll see if that ever happens…
Anyway, so I’m in the store and I see the asparagus sitting there in all of its green glory. I start walking that way when someone swoops their cart in front of me and spends the next 5 minutes debating whether or not a bunch of asparagus is worth spending $1.19. ::insert all the rage face emojis:: I thought about, “Ummmm…EXCUSE ME…” and reaching ahead and just picking up my asparagus but then thought better of it. I had other vegetables to buy and chose to avoid the conflict instead. What irritated me was overhearing them spend 5 minutes arguing over whether or not asparagus was worth $1.19 and then, after deciding it was a fair price, opting not to buy it because they couldn’t afford it. They had FIVE 12-packs of soda in their cart! I’m sorry but it annoys me to no end that someone will drop $25 – $30 on soda and say they can’t afford $1.19 for vegetables. Like, no, you can afford it but you’re choosing sugar and crap instead.
I know I’m on a soapbox. I know I’m being bitchy and judgmental. I’ll stop but dang if it doesn’t frustrate me so much! Ok, on to the lemon & rosemary roasted asparagus…
- 1 large bunch of asparagus (at least 3 - 4 stalks per person)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Cut the bottom ends off the asparagus, wash and set aside.
- Mix extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, and rosemary in a medium mixing bowl.
- Toss asparagus stalks in the oil and lemon juice mixture until coated.
- Spread asparagus out on aluminum foil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 10 minutes or until asparagus is firm on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.